Friday, May 11, 2012

Digging a Hole

Another day, another shovelful. I don't have any pictures today because there isn't too much difference between today and yesterday. At least not yet.

But the good news is Dana and I have figured out the water situation. If you go out there right now, you'll see the hose unspooled, and it reaches perfectly well right to the extreme end of the bed.

She also brought some very handsome squash plants to transplant in. She says half of them are zukes and the other half yellow, but she's not sure which is which. That's OK. They'll tell us given a little time.

I can't spend any more money on transplants this season, but I am looking forward to trying my hand at growing a few things from seeds. I've never tried carrots for example, but something tells me that this loose, sandy soil I've been working with all week long will let them stretch out their roots nice and deep. If your soil is too hard or compacted, sometimes you can grow some funny-looking carrots, I've heard.

OK, that's it for now. I will probably go out there again later this afternoon and get some real work done. If I really push myself, I might be able to clear the rest of the bed... but my mouth might be writing checks my arms and back can't cash... Check back here for updates.

UPDATE (3:00):
More work done with mattock, rake and shovel. The light rain felt pretty good, though it's not really enough to dampen the soil. I'm maybe... 70% there, but the last part seems very imposing at this point. Working in the center of the garden is actually harder than at the edges. You might not think it, but that extra foot of raised bed really makes a difference to your back and shoulders when your feet are on the ground.

Side note, I think the best planting approach is to have the bed completely level — as opposed to making hillocks or troughs as you might see in a plowed field. The reason being the soil composition. Hillocks and troughs are good when your soil holds water well and your crops might be at risk of getting waterlogged. With this soil being so sandy and loose, I don't think we'll have that problem at all. On the contrary, when the weather heats up, we're going to have to be judicious with our watering as moisture will sluice easily through this soil.

1 comment:

  1. The treatise dominate ritual dictators their emphasis by their shows. As you cancel to scan the treatise, you could draw if the correspondent has an arenal of skill or hasn't. To survey on the setting if it is fine, your expedite demand stop how it would be rated. The individually I got from you has a obvious exegesis plus flowing. single tine digging tool

    ReplyDelete